Friday, February 3, 2012

25 things I want my son to know.

1.  I love you.
I love you more than I ever thought possible. 

2.  Your father loves you.
I hope that as you grow, he continues to shower you with love and hugs and kisses like he does right now.  Men don't always know how to show affection for their sons, but I hope that you always feel it.

3.  God loves you.
It's not even cool for me to say it right now, so I can't imagine how difficult it will be for you when you're a teenage boy to live and grow in God's light.  He will always be there for you, though, even if you turn away from Him.  I pray that your faith will be strong and that you will be true to yourself every single day.

4.  Learn about cars.
I know it's not very progressive of me to say this, but a man who can fix a car is sexy.  Girls like to be rescued and that's a helluva good way to do it.

5.  If you don't want to, don't learn about cars.
Okay, so maybe you won't give a hoot about cars.  That's okay.  Just be passionate about something.  The guitar, painting, dance, writing, singing, hunting... something.  Find somthing you love and do it.

6.  Women are not the same as men.
We are equals, yes.  Women can do every single thing that man can do and should always be treated with respect.  However, we are not the same.  Do not view those differences as weaknesses.

7.  Tell the women you now (and ones that you don't know) that they are beautiful.
Heather and I went out for lunch a few weeks back, and there was an elderly woman sitting alone at the table next to us.  A man from across the room came over to her and told her that he just wanted her to know that he thought she was beautiful.  She giggled like a young girl and blushed.  I could tell that it made her day.  It made mine, too.

8.  You deserve great things.
But you don't deserve great things any more than anyone else does.  You are not better or worse than anyone else in this world.  We all have a story that will break a heart, respect the journeys of others.

9.  In the words of Sara Groves...
Free to fly free to go free to not look back
That's how free I want you though it scares me half to death
Free to wander miles and miles and free to come back home
That's how free I want you though it chills me to the bone

...Go on son and spread your wings; I hope that you take flight
But please please please don't forget to write

I hope that you have the courage and independence to do the things that you want to do.  Just be sure to come back home to me and tell me all about it.

10.  Don't curse around me, or your grandmothers.
Ever. 

11.  Love what you do.
Everything you do.  It's not just about loving your profession, be proud of every decision you make.  If you're not proud of it, then change it.

12.  Save.
Start saving money.  Now.

13.  Wear cologne.
Find one really nice cologne that you love and wear it all the time.  People love a man who smells good.

14.  Don't be afraid to love.
You will get hurt.  You will get hurt more than once.  That's okay.  It's part of life.  Don't be afraid to love others.  Love women,  love men, love your family and friends.  Doesn't matter who you love.  Just love with your whole heart and let those you love know it.

15.  It's okay to hate.
Just be sure you have a good reason and that you have already considered all other options. 
(Hate is not the opposite of love.  Apathy is.)

16.  Please don't wrestle.
Cauliflower ear grosses me out, and I don't understand the sport whatsoever.

17.  Read.
Read everything you can get your hands on.  Read things you find interesting.  Read things that make you think.  Read things just for fun.  Just read.

18.  This is not okay:


19.  Neither is this:


20.  Don't be afraid to stand up for "the little guy".
Sometimes, those who cannot stand up for themselves need some one to stand up for them.  Sometimes, you'll be that guy.  Sometimes, you'll need support.  There's no shame in asking for help and you should never look down on some one who needs it. 

21.  It's okay to cry.
Just don't do it all the time.

22.  Buy a nice suit.
And look handsome in it.

23.  Dance.
If you take a girl (or guy, I don't care) some where there is dancing and she wants to dance, dance with her.  If you go some where there is dancing and you are alone, ask some one without a partner to dance.  Dancing with some one does not necessarily mean that you love her, but it will make her feel good about herself.

24.  Without trying to sound like a bad 90s song...
Wear sunscreen.  Seriously.  Your dad never does and I always have to get after him about it.  Sunburns hurt a lot and they are dangerous.

25.  Don't forget...
I love you.  A lot.

1 comment: